“The greatest invention in the world is the mind of a child.” -Thomas Edison
Head Start Program
Giving every child an opportunity to succeed.
The Head Start program promotes the school readiness of children ages 3 to 5 from low-income families by enhancing their cognitive, social, and emotional development. Head Start programs provide a learning environment that supports children's growth through language and literacy, general knowledge, physical development and health, as well as social and emotional development.
ELIGIBILITY: Eligibility is based on many different factors and will be discussed during the enrollment meeting.
Application Process for the Head Start Program:
- Schedule an enrollment meeting with Lorri Bohn at the ADVOCAP Fond du Lac Office.
- A printable application is available at the link below if you wish to complete your application prior to your meeting. Or we will go over the application with you during your enrollment meeting.
- During your enrollment meeting, Lorri will help you understand the requirements for enrolling your child and answer any questions you may have.
How to Contact ADVOCAP for assistance applying for the Head Start Program:
- Contact Lorri Bohn, Family Engagement Manager, to schedule an enrollment meeting.
- Phone: 920-922-7760
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ADVOCAP Head Start Program Locations:
19 W 1st Street
Fond du Lac, WI 54935
1225 Fourth Street Rd
Fond du Lac, WI 54935
North Fond du Lac Early Learning Center
923 Minnesota Avenue
North Fond du Lac, WI 54937
Prairie View Head Start Center
W911 Highway 44
Markesan, WI 53946
Barlow Park Elementary School
100 Ringstad Drive
Ripon, WI 53971
Center Based Head Start
Services are provided to 3 and 4 year old children in a classroom setting. Children attend classes in centers 1/2 day, 4 days a week. Transportation is provided to and from school for most of the service area with some exceptions. Children receive at least 2 meals each day. Each classroom is staffed with a teacher and an assistant teacher.
4 Year Old Kindergarten
ADVOCAP Head Start partners with the school districts of Fond du Lac, North Fond du Lac, Ripon and Berlin to provide four year old kindergarten (4K) programming at the Head Start Centers. Children receive 4K services and Head Start services for a full day program, 4 days a week, all at the same location.
- Head Start emphasizes the role of parents as their child's first and most important teacher. Parent and family engagement in Head Start is about building relationships with families that support:
- Families as learners and lifelong educators
- Family engagement in transitions
- Family connections to peers and community
- Families as advocates and leaders
- Successful partnerships within the community bring together the resources of all agencies and programs to best meet child and family needs. Families are provided with a resource directory to guide them in securing community resources
- Head Start uses volunteers to the fullest extent possible. Special efforts are made to have volunteer participation, especially parents, in the classroom, in program governance and in program assessment.