- A community-based and locally-controlled, private, nonprofit corporation founded in 1966.
- Governed by a volunteer Board of Directors with equal representation from three sectors: low-income people, the community, and local government.
- Poverty is a lack of opportunities, assets or tools which enable a person or family to obtain the basic necessities of a healthy and dignified life.
- Poverty is a lack of meaningful participation in the economic, social and political life of society because of difficulty in influencing decisions that affect one's life.
- Poverty exists in our communities. It is imperative to work toward reducing the causes and conditions of poverty.
- Everyone is vulnerable to poverty through the loss of a job, ill health, disability, economic trends, family breakup or natural disaster.
- Human beings have intrinsic worth and deserve respect regardless of abilities or productivity.
- Building on the strengths and capabilities of low-income people and communities is the most effective way to help people improve their lives.
- The entire community - the private sector and the public sector including low-income people themselves - has much to contribute and much to gain from efforts which help people to lead lives of greater independence and dignity.
All low-income and disadvantaged people in our service area will have the opportunities, assets and tools necessary to obtain the basic necessities of a healthy and dignified life.
We are grateful to our funding sources, donors, and volunteers for their support of our efforts. We are also grateful to our collaborative partners in the community for enhancing our joint efforts in providing solutions to poverty. We look forward to continuing to work toward our worthy goals with the help of our funders and partners in the future.